Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Book Review (Spoilers... maybe)


This novel takes place in New Beijing. It is a futuristic novel; we know this, because of the mention of technology like netscreens, androids, and cyborgs. The main character in the novel is named Cinder. Cinder is a 17 or 18 year old girl. She is cyborg. Cinder hates herself because of her "monstrosities" that is her arm and leg. When she was little, her parents were killed in a hover crash. She survived, but barely. Scientists operated on her and she was reborn. Not many people in the Eastern Commonwealth like cyborgs. Her stepmother, Adri, hates them. She especially doesn't like Cinder; she blames Cinder for the death of her husband and everything else that is bad. Her stepsister Pearl doesn't like her either. The only people that like her are Peony (her other stepsister) and Iko (Adri's android). The story is about her adventure when she meets the prince and her discovery of who she really is.

I knew I would love the story... but I didn't know how much. I feel like I need to actually buy the book so I can read it over and over. It provided me with a new look at science-fiction... one of the genres that I have a hard time getting into. But it also had that sort of fantasy twist - which I didn't expect. Overall, I absolutely loved it. The characters weren't that deep, but since I found out that it is in a series, I'll expect the characters to blossom and grow. The plot and setting were the most magnificent in this book. Marissa Meyer really thought about this book and gave it something new that the YA section needed.

Now... for the negative side of this review. The only thing I didn't enjoy was how predictable it became towards the end. I know that happens a lot with YA fiction, since there is so much of it... but come on! There could have been something a little more exciting than the ending I got. Also, I hated how it left off. I wasn't expecting a series from this author. I truly wanted a one time go with Cinder. I didn't expect to have to wait until the next one comes out. The depth of the book was pretty ... shallow? I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes YA books don't have that much DEPTH. I wanted a little more than just the same old gushy, gushy romance. I have to keep in mind though that this is a retelling of Cinderella.

Since I have mentioned that is a retelling of Cinderella, what are my thoughts on that? I'm really not a fan of Cinderella, since Disney made it seem so... happy. But in high school I read a short story of the actual fairy tale of Cinderella - you know, the more darker side of Cinderella. And I enjoyed it. I want Cinderella to be this independent woman who doesn't just stop and drop her life for prince charming. Cinder wasn't really like that, she didn't give in to Kai like the rest of the girls in the Eastern Commonwealth did... but she still couldn't help falling for him because of his "smile."

I give this book a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. It was good! I'm a little irritated that I have to wait for the second one... but oh well, I can be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment